ADP WINTER, 2014 | Vol. 23 No. 3                 
Subscribe | Share by Email | Feedback
» Automating Time and Attendance
» Mobile Management
» ADP Recognition
» Equal Employment Opportunity Laws
» Understanding E-Verify
Increase Employee Engagement
» Starting Social Media
» Globally Mobile Workforce
» Cost-effective Hiring Process
» Midsized Business Challenges
» Connect With Users of ADP Solutions
» Reduce Your Compliance Workload

Four ways managers can increase employee engagement

An engaged workforce is good for business, with fewer safety incidents, lower absenteeism, and higher productivity. In a survey of nearly 50,000 businesses by Gallup, Inc. last year, companies scoring in the top half in employee engagement had nearly double the odds of success compared with those in the bottom half.

While many factors influence employee engagement, the relationship between employees and their managers matters most. According to a recent workforce-engagement report released by Dale Carnegie & Associates, Inc., the connection between a worker and his or her immediate supervisor is the top driver. But the study found that only 29 percent of 1,500 employees surveyed were fully engaged. What can a manager do?

1. Set clear and attainable goals
2. Provide fair and equal rewards and recognition
3. Give meaningful and regular feedback
4. Create a culture of employee involvement

Click here for more Gallup Inc. findings on the effect of engagement on work performance.

To learn more about ADP® employee engagement solutions, call (800) 447-3237.

This article was condensed from an in-depth write-up in ADP's Bottom Line magazine, offering expert insight into today's most pressing HR management and compliance challenges. Visit the Bottom Line home page to download the current and archived issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: ADP publishes the ADP Advisor free of charge to its clients. It is accepted with the understanding that the publisher is not engaged in the business of rendering legal or accounting services. If legal, tax, accounting, or other professional assistance is required, the services of an attorney or a certified public accountant should be sought.